Updated as of July 9, 2021:
USask Mask Policy Update
All faculty, staff, students and visitors will be required to wear 3-ply single-use masks in all indoor spaces on USask campuses in Saskatoon, Regina and Prince Albert. Beginning July 11, masks will no longer be required in outdoor locations on all USask campuses, except for prescribed activities, like Kids Camps, for example.
While the Government of Saskatchewan is easing its mandatory mask mandate, USask's masking guidelines will remain in place until August 31. These guidelines will be reviewed prior to the end of August and any changes will be communicated with the campus community.
- meeting spaces
- study spaces
- recreation facilities
- shared offices
- outdoors (beginning July 11, masks will no longer be required in outdoor locations on all USask campuses, except for prescribed activities, like Kids Camps)
- USask vehicles
- all other USask spaces
Introducing this enhanced protection now is an additional step to ensuring our campuses are as safe as possible as we prepare to further expand in-person and on-campus operations. Non-medical masks are able to provide an enhanced level of protection with a balance of cost, comfort, and environmental impact. Medical-grade masks can be used but are not required (outside of the medical field) as the higher level of fluid impermeability designed for medical procedures is not-required for most USask processes.
USask will make masks available, free of charge, to all faculty, staff and students, through your college/unit. The provision of masks for students is in effect for spring and summer only.
For more information, click here.
Updated as of June 14, 2021:
Updated as of May 28, 2021:
USask Mask Policy
Recently, the University announced that starting June 1, 2021, all faculty, staff, students, and visitors will be required to wear 3-ply single-use masks in all indoor spaces on USask campuses in Saskatoon, Regina, and Prince Albert, and outdoors if two or more people are together and can’t maintain a minimum of two metres of physical distancing.
Wearing a disposable 3-ply mask will be mandatory for all USask Rec outdoor recreation and training, even if physical distancing can be maintained, to enhance safety and protect our patrons
If you are entering the Physical Activity Complex to access the Fit Centre or a fitness class, you will be able to retrieve a 3-ply mask free of charge at the front desk of the Fit Centre. We ask that you please wear your own mask indoors until you can retrieve the provided 3-ply mask.
If you are participating in personal training, aquatics certification, Children’s Activity Camps, and/or other registered recreation programming, a 3-ply mask will be provided free of charge by your instructor. Children’s 3-ply masks will be provided free of charge for all youth participants.
USask wants to ensure that the implementation of this additional safety measure is as environmentally sustainable as possible. Recycling locations will be set up in the Physical Activity Complex to minimize the environmental impact of using 3-ply single-use masks, keeping them out of the landfill.
As a result of recent outbreaks on campus and the rising number of new COVID-19 variants of concern (VoC) cases in the province, the university is making this change as an enhanced health and safety measure against the spread of COVID 19. This is expected to be in place until August 31, 2021, when it will be re-evaluated.
For more information visit: https://covid19.usask.ca/working-on-campus/ppes.php#Masks
Update as of May 14, 2021:
USask Rec Patrons,
We have not forgotten about you and have been working hard on plans to be able to offer as many of our recreation programs as safely as possible when approved to do so.
Last week, the provincial government and Saskatchewan Health Authority released their re-open roadmap guidelines for the province. USask Rec is excited to follow those guidelines and continue our plans to re-open recreation for our on and off campus community in the coming months. We encourage you to watch our website and social media channels for all updates as we work through our re-opening plans.
We appreciate your patience and commitment to our recreation programming and look forward to seeing you back on campus.
Check back frequently for updates about recreation programs and activities that will resume in the future.
What can members do to help?
With the efforts of everyone, including our on and off campus members, let’s work together to keep ourselves safe and healthy.
Our members are encouraged to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 through proper personal hygiene. This includes:
- Frequent hand washing (wash your hands for at least 20 seconds) and hand sanitizing before, during, and after your visits
- Respect physical distancing and take basic precautions
- Read signs with information providing directions on how to be active safely
- Making full use of the soap, sanitizers and cleaning items available
- Covering your mouth and nose with a mask
- Bring your own water bottle
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Familiarize yourself with the latest guidance from the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) and do not visit the facilities if you are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or feeling under the weather and are advised to self-isolate
What is open?
We have been approved for the following list of activities:
- CPR and First-aid training: open to the public
- CPR C/Standard First Aid
- CPR C/Standard First Aid Recertification
- First Aid Instructor Recertification
- First Aid Instructor Course
- Swimming Pool Operators Course: open to the public
- Lifeguard/Instructor and Safety Training: open to the public
- Virtual Recreation Programming
- The Fit Centre and indoor fitness classes (USask students and employees only)
What remains closed for now?
We continue to work on plans to re-open recreation on campus.
The following USask Rec recreation areas and programs remain closed:
- PAC and Education pools, including all swimming lessons and swim programming.
- Climbing wall
- PAC tri-gymnasium
- Education gymnasium
- Locker rooms
- Racquetball and squash courts
- Open recreation
- Campus recreation indoor intramurals
Indoor Fitness Class Protocols
How to sign up
- Sign-up for fitness classes will be online only with a maximum capacity of 12 members per class.
- You can view the indoor fitness class weekly schedule by clicking here.
- Sign-up for fitness classes will be available 3 days before the class is offerred.
- If you need to cancel, please do so through the same link as above.
Where to go
- All classes will be at the Physical Activity Complex (PAC).
- Participants should arrive no earlier than 5 to 10 minutes before each class.
What to Expect
- Please arrive at the PAC and get in line prior to each class. A USask Rec staff member will direct you from there.
- Staff will have participants read and answer the displayed health declaration questions. You can review it online here. If a participant answers “Yes” to any of the questions they will not be allowed to participate in the class.
- Participants will be asked to sanitize their hands both before and after the fitness class.
- The fitness instructor and USask Rec staff will ensure participants start and maintain physical distancing throughout the class.
- Participants must wear a 3-ply face mask while entering and exiting the PAC and in all indoor public spaces. Effective November 27th, masks are mandatory while exercising. 3-ply masks will be provided if you do not have one.
What to Bring
- Student ID card or photo ID if you do not have a student ID card yet.
- Water bottle
- Proper fitness attire and shoes - there is no access to change rooms or lockers in the PAC
- Yoga: Bring your own yoga mat
Campus Rec Intramural Protocols
How to sign up
- Sign-up for Summer 2021 intramurals will be online only with a limited amount of teams per sport.
- You can view the intramurals offered by clicking here.
- Please note: These intramurals are weather dependent. If the games are cancelled due to weather conditions, an email will be sent to the team captain.
Where to go
- Once your team is registered, you will be notified of what field your sport will play on.
- Conduct their activities with physical distancing in mind. Stay 6 feet apart at all times.
- Acknowledge that participation in your scheduled sessions, does NOT permit you access to any other USask Rec facilities.
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Adhere to the policy that change rooms are NOT accessible.
- Come changed and ready for activity as change rooms are not available.
- Sanitize hands prior to entering the physical activity space.
- Arrive at your session no earlier than 10 minutes prior to starting and exit immediately after the session has ended.
What to Bring
- Student card
- Water bottle
- Proper fitness attire and shoes
Fit Centre Reopening Protocols
The Fit Centre is open to USask students and employees only at this time.
Please click here for more details and new protocols.